Becoming an Instructor
Each candidate’s experience level is unique, so in the Rocky Mountain Chapter no specific requirement as to number of driving events is used to open the door; however the candidate must demonstrate certain qualities and skills as listed:
- Communication, can put self in another’s shoes = sensitivity; also have the ability to talk through a lap, explain car dynamics, reasons for errors, etc.; being able to listen, read body language, etc. This skill is essential as some of the most gifted drivers cannot communicate and are poor instructors.
- Driving (incl. heel – toe, smoothness, consistency, knowing the line, safety awareness, being a good role model both on/off track, etc.)
- Commitment to program – putting the student’s needs first; willingness to read instructor materials & attend instructor meetings, etc.
- Being checked out by experienced instructors especially in regards to driving skill and communicating while driving.
In the Rocky Mountain Chapter candidates are recruited (primarily through instructor recommendations) vs. their volunteering. Once selected, the candidate is expected to attend the BMW CCA ITS (Instructor Training School). This is not a complete list but hopefully gets the point across.
Rocky Mountain Chapter Instructor Training & Documents
- Teaching Advanced Students (PDF doc)
- DS Instructor Guide 2002 (Word doc)
- DS Instructor Checklist 2003 (Word doc)
- Curriculum Outline C&D Groups (Word doc)
- Driving Aunt Tilly 2003 (Word doc)
- DS Meeting Outline (Word doc)
- DS Record Book 2005 (Word doc)
- ITS – High Performance Driving Instructor Training School Notes (Word doc)
- Doug Bartlett’s notes from Tony Funicello’s ITS Course on April 30-May 1, 2004
- Car Control Clinic Instructor Guide (PDF doc)
- The BMW CCA Operations Manual defines minimum standards for Driving Schools, Autocrosses and other club functions.
- Rocky Mountain Chapter Student’s Driving School Manual (PDF doc) or (Word doc)
- High Plains Raceway Lap Description (PDF) High Plains raceway layout pictureHPR Lap by Jamie Stiehr
- Pueblo Motorsports Park Lap Description (Word doc)
DS Classroom Instructional Aid Images
- Corner & Apex – Subset of the Driving School Manual (Word doc)